History

Founded in 1908, The Congressional Club is a self-supporting nonprofit initially incorporated by Congress to be a non-partisan setting for wives of members of the House and Senate living in Washington, D.C. Today, the Club continues its distinguished tradition of fostering friendships among the Nation’s leaders and their spouses while also serving as a museum and destination for social occasions.

The activities of the Club have changed over the years to accommodate its diverse membership of accomplished men and women. A weekly program tea is now a bi-monthly luncheon featuring well-known speakers, musicians, and personalities, and the Club’s primary focus has shifted to serving its community and the Nation with not-for-profit partners. At the same time, the Club’s rich tradition and history is preserved through annual events like the First Lady’s Luncheon and Founder’s Day Celebration.